Trouble in Immoren
Primary and Secondary Stats
The primary stats are Physique, Agility, and Intellect. The secondary stats are Speed, Strength, Poise, Prowess, Arcane, and Perception.
Physique (PHY): Physique is how tough, healthy, and physically durable the character is. It reflects the physical attributes of the character. This stat is used to resist poisons, illness, and physical ailments. Physique also helps determine a character’s Armor (ARM), Willpower, and the number of damage circles on his life spiral.
- Speed (SPD): This is how fast the character moves. It determines how far a character can move during his turn and is used to calculate important derived stats like Defense (DEF) and Initiative.
- Strength (STR): This is a measure of the character’s physical strength. Strength is used to determine how much a character can lift and is a major component of how much damage he inflicts in melee combat.
Agility (AGL): Agility is a measure of the character’s reflexes and nimbleness. This stat is used when the character makes a non-combat skill roll involving coordination and reflexes. Agility helps determine a character’s DEF and the number of damage circles on his life spiral.
- Poise (POI): Poise reflects a character’s hand eye coordination and manual dexterity. It is the character’s ability to focus physically. Poise helps determine a character’s skill with ranged weapons.
- Prowess (PRW): Prowess is a measure of a character’s grace, balance, and control over his body. It takes into account practice, conditioning, and training. It helps determine a character’s natural talent with melee weapons and partly determines a character’s Initiative.
Intellect (INT): This is a measure of the character’s wits, deduction, and the speed of his thoughts. This stat is used when the character tries to figure something out or uses a skill involving knowledge or problem solving. Intellect also helps determine a character’s Willpower and the number of damage circles on his life spiral.
- Arcane (ARC): This is a measure of the character’s magical power. Arcane is also used to determine a character’s skill with offensive magic. Only characters with the Gifted archetype have the Arcane stat.
- Perception (PER): This is a measure of how astute the character is, his attention to detail, and his awareness. It is also used in part to determine a character’s Defense (DEF) and Initiative.
Derived stats are values computed using a character’s primary and secondary stats along with other factors. By combining primary and secondary stats together in various combinations, derived stats further expand the parameters of what a character can do.
Defense (DEF): This stat determines how hard it is to hit a character in combat. A character’s basic Defense is the sum of his Speed, Agility, and Perception. Defense can be modified further by abilities or equipment.
Initiative: This stat is used in initiative rolls (p. 201) to determine when a character can act during combat. A character’s basic Initiative is the sum of his Speed, Prowess, and Perception. Initiative can be modified further by abilities or equipment.
Armor (ARM): This is how difficult it is to cause damage to the character. A character’s Armor is the sum of his Physique and the armor modifiers from the armor he wears.
Willpower (WIL): This stat determines the character’s ability to resist the effects of fear and mind control magic. A character’s Willpower is the sum of his Physique and Intellect.
The Life Spiral
Characters in the Iron Kingdoms Full Metal Fantasy Roleplaying Game have life spirals that determine how much damage they can suffer during play. The life spiral is split into three aspects that correspond to the character’s primary stats. In other words, each aspect has a number of vitality points equal to the character’s stat. The higher a character’s primary stats, the more damage he can suffer during play. Each aspect splits into two branches, for a total of six branches. The numbered branches are used to determine which branch of a character’s life spiral suffers damage first.
Primary and Secondary Stats
PHY – Physique
- SPD – Speed
- STR – Strength
AGL – Agility
- PRW – Prowess
- POI – Poise
INT – Intellect
- ARC – Arcane (Gifted only)
- PER – Perception
ARM – Armour (PHY+Armour Modifier)
CMD – Command Range (INT+Command Skill)
DEF – Defence (SPD+AGI+PER)
INIT – Initiative (SPD+PRW+PER)
MAT – Melee Attack (PRW+Weapon Skill+Weapon Modifier) (Thrown Weapons use this)
RAT – Ranged Attack (POI+Weapon Skill+Weapon Modifier)
WILL – Willpower (PHY+INT)